Today is Ash Wednesday. I really didn't realize this until Sam and I went to Wal-mart and saw people walking around with black smudges on their foreheads. I asked Sam if I was missing something and he told me it's Ash Wednesday. Still with a dumb look on my face, he proceeded to tell me what it meant (yes, I'm an academic doctor but at times not quick on my feet). I thought people were just smearing dirt on their face to walk around Wal-mart.
Anyway, we went to pick Dominik up from school and his teacher told us his funny for the day. She told us that she was teaching the kids about Lent and was asking each of the kids what they would give up. When it came to Dominik he told her 'Samantha'. She asked him again 'are you sure?' She said he got wide-eyed and said 'NO! I don't want her to leave, but I will tell my mom what I want to give up'. I still haven't gotten it out of him but his little classmates, who always feel the need to run at me to hug me when I'm there (ah, yes, I am the child whisperer), all were telling me the things they were giving up. One girl yelled out that she was giving up the toilet, another was giving up school, and the others were random things from home. It was so cute listening to their answers and charming them with my child whisperer ways. The kids were asking me what I would give up but I figured they wouldn't understand my answer of 'carbs and highly addictive acidic drinks also known as Dr. Pepper'.
So, I got to thinking what I would give up and I have decided that I'm giving up turning 30 next week! Who needs it? Not me! So, I will just stay 29 for another year! I mean, who says Ash Wednesday has to last just one day? Yes, Lent is wonderful once you realize what it is.
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh Megs, I can always come here and count on a real laugh! Thanks for the giggles for the day!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteAunt Barb
p.s. I hope this will let me post this time. Many times I'm the first one here but it won't let me say anything!! The captcha just keeps "loading...."
Aww, what a sweet big brother to give up his sister!! I probably would have said the same thing had I known what Ash Wednesday was at my age :)
ReplyDeleteThis is funny! However, I think big brother doesn't want to give up ANYTHING!
ReplyDeletePoor Little guy....I can just picture his little eyes when he was trying to think of something to "give up"...Very hard idea to capture at that age for sure. For the record honey, I saw people at the Hopital Wednesday and figured it was "Ash Wednesday" or there were some very dirty faced nurses running around.
ReplyDeleteYou are too funny! I think staying 29 for another year is a ... ahem ... beautiful way to honor the Lord. ... maybe
ReplyDelete